12 years Anniversary! 2015
If somebody told me this 5 things 12 years ago, before I moved abroad….
- It’s going to be hard. Moving is hard, it’s challenging, and you don’t always find what you are looking for. It’s about the experiences you have and the people you meet. Different kind of people.
- You can’t take it all with you. I mean, sentimental little things and small memories- they are lost forever. You have to leave your best friends behind too, knowing you can never pop in for a coffee (or else) and catch up.
- Learning (yet) another language is’t easy. Before I moved to England I thought I can speak English. What a joke!! Aside from the fact that I’m from Odessa and my Russian is influenced by Yiddish and Ukrainian in grammar, vocabulary, and phraseology, as a most of phrases sounds uniquely humours and constitute a staple of Odessa humour – I moved to North East where I discovered mysterious world of Geordies. You can’t learn Geordie by reading the book. Drink a beer first; it helps!
- Deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. S**t happens and you’ve got to deal with it. Sometimes nothing happens for a long time and you are happy, and next thing you know – suddenly it all sneaks up on you. Just remember to breath.
- Moving from home changes people. People always talk about “finding yourself” when traveling or moving to another side of the world. Listen, moving does change you. Undoubtably, for the better.
So.. would I do it again?
Absolutely! Moving to England was one of the best decisions I’ve made. An eye opening -self challenging -mind reshaping- life changing – experience, that made the person I am today.
last but not least. Friends, I love you.